Sunday, 29 November 2015

book review : 28 years a batchelor

Some books are tagged as MUST READ. This is one such book. A thought provoking book.  A Speciality of Rasana Atreya the author is that her books will leave you in a trance! While reading I was not in Delhi but I was in Hyderabad in that particular village! It was as if I was living this story.  MADHAV is my hero.
PLOT
It is a truth universally acknowledged that an Indian woman in possession of a son with an engineering degree must be in want of a daughter-in-law with an out sized dowry. 

This can be a problem when said son is vehemently opposed to dowry. He is also opposed to city living, to meddlesome neighbours, to wacky grandfathers and to caustic grandmothers. But when he’s blessed with all of the above, what’s man to do? 


From the author of 'Tell a Thousand Lies'. Shortlisted for the '2012 Tibor Jones South Asia prize'. UK's Glam magazine calls this novel one of their 'five favorite tales from India.' 
HIGHLIGHTS
v  I loved the relationships portrayed in this book be it “Madhav & Jaya “; “madhav&nainamma” and other relations have been described very clearly.
v  Anant’s low sperm count was the reason for the lack of child. But all the science in the world wouldn’t convince the in-laws that her bareness wasn’t her fault. Seriously this is to be noted. In some villages women are blamed that they have bad thoughts that’s why they are punished with a girl. Like really. A girl is no punishment. This mind-set of looking down upon girl child needs to be changed.
v  “I don’t know at what inauspicious hour we saw this girl & bought her home “Jaya’s mother in law was saying “she took my only child’s life, god burn her face! She could have given me a grandson, but no, she had to be carrying a girl.” I loved how madhav stood up for her sister. He was the only one who gave it back to the mother in law. He is the brother every girl would want. For this part I give kudos to madhav for standing up for his sister “ I have watched you turn my beautiful, bubbly sister into a defeated woman. These 5 years you have abused her, harassed her. First it was because they had no children, then because she earned more than your son. Now because she is carrying a girl. Sex determination tests are illegal I am sure you know that.” This was the best part I actually loved how he took a stand.
v  I kind of didn’t like amma (madhav’s mom) more than anger I feel pity for her. Having two grandchildren she doesn’t meet them. She has missed the blissful time. In her greed for dowry she has lost both her son & daughter.
v  I loved how madhav has repeatedly refused dowry. He could have succumbed to the pressures but his love was greater than money. This definetly is a though provoking book which will make you ponder over the fact that how many lives are destroyed in dowry deaths. Visit a burn ward in a hospital you will know of the stark reality of dowry deaths. I remember reading a story in Sudha Murthy’s book “old man & his god”
v  I really want this book to be converted into regional languages so that people get message in the best possible manner.
RATING 4.9/5


  

No comments:

Post a Comment