Thursday, 19 November 2015

Tell a Thousand Lies: BOOK REVIEW

Review :-
Some stories leave a profound impact on you for a long period of time. This is one such story! It seems as if we were hidden from such heart wrenching realities of rural India.  A story is called a success only when the reader feels the emotions of the characters.
You will surely relate to pain & suffering of Pullamma, helplessness of srikar feel disgusted at Kondal Rao for being such a manipulator and evil man. Earlier when you get to know that Lata is not able to continue her studies you feel sad for her but then when other chapters unfold you just want to slap her tight..
Plot
In a land where skin colour can determine one's destiny, fraternal twins PULLAMMA and LATA are about to embark on a journey that will tear their lives apart. Dark skinned Pullamma dreams of being a wife. With three girls in her family, the sixteen year old is aware there isn't enough dowry to secure suitable husbands for them all. But a girl can hope. She's well versed in cooking, pickle making, cow washing -- you name it. She's also obliged her old-fashioned grandmother by not doing well in school. Fair skinned and pretty, her twin sister Lata would rather study medicine than get married. Unable to grasp the depth of Lata's desire, the twins' Grandmother formalizes a wedding alliance for the girl. Distraught, Lata rebels, with devastating consequences. As Pullamma helps ready the house for her older sister Malli's bride viewing, she prays for a positive outcome to the event. What happens next is so inconceivable that it will shape Pullamma's future in ways she couldn't have foreseen. TELL A THOUSAND LIES is a sometimes wry, sometimes sad, but ultimately realistic look at how superstition and the colour of a girl's skin rules India's hinterlands.
HIGHLIGHTS
·         “I just wanted to be an ordinary girl, married to a man who would provide me with a municipal tap, and three meals a day, while I cooked and cleaned for him.”  The simplicity of Pullamma is something totally different. These days I don’t think there will be Pullamma there would be more of Lata who are ambitious.
·          “The marriage broker had assured her the groom’s family was more concerned about the colour of Malli’s skin than the size of her dowry.” 
“She has neither the looks, nor the dowry. Keep her at home. After all, you will need someone to tend to you in your old age”
 It makes me distraught that still people vouch for colour rather than merit. If colour is so important does it help you get a degree? And moreover I truly believe that colour or your beauty does not help in the long run its only your INNER BEAUTY that will be helpful throughout.
·         “Lata passed her 12th class in DISTINCTION! This has become a great deal in villages. How important education is especially for girls. Its rightly said that if a girl is given proper education then the whole family is uplifted.
·         “If you tell lies then you will have a girl child!!” I was like speechless as if being a girl child is a crime or some punishment. Sorry to say this looking down upon girl child is not only in villages but also in metro cities. Today only I read an article in women’s web on this issue where the family is educated and yet doesn’t wants a girl child. Though I feel blessed to have my dad & mom with me who treat me like a princess.
·         “I have to see her I have to name her; she isn’t some nameless baby or some roadside trash that I can just discard. She needs to know she was loved.”
“I will name her Vennela. She bought a ray of pure love into my life. It doesn’t matter she did not live. It doesn’t matter she was a girl. I am going to love her all my life. My little ray of heart-warming moonlight.”
 This particular part rendered me teary eyed. I remember reading these lines again and again. So full of depth and motherly love. We can’t even imagine how a lady if her new born baby is declared still born. This reminds me of one-shot written by a friend https://www.wattpad.com/story/50870574-~her-first-child~

·         I loved the way the emotional scenes have been portrayed in the story they are so clear & vivid that it leaves you awe stricken. I have cried in few of the scenes.. I could visualize them completely.
·         I would say a must read! An amazing read!
Ratings: 4.8/5



No comments:

Post a Comment